As we age, foot problems are almost inevitable and completely normal. However, there are important steps to take to make sure you stay on your feet.
Health problems such as diabetes, arthritis, and circulatory issues may cause problems that present themselves in the feet. It is very important to monitor your foot health and seek medical attention whenever you notice a problem. Below are some daily tips and tricks to keep your feet healthy.
– Checking your feet regularly is a great way to start monitoring your foot health. Pay attention to any cuts, sores, discoloration, bruising, or anything that looks concerning. Have a family member help check the spots you cannot see.
– Getting the blood moving in your feet is important for your circulation. Make sure to stretch, walk, stick your feet up in the air for a couple minutes when you lie down, or take a warm foot bath. This will keep your feet oxygenated, healthy, and happy.
– Avoid sitting for long periods of time, especially with crossed legs.
– Comfortable shoes that keep your feet aligned are a must.
– Avoid cold temperatures, as it can slow down or even stop the circulation in your feet.
– Smoking decreases blood supply and increases swelling, as well as other circulatory problems
We will be happy to assess your specific needs and help you develop a personalized plan and routine for healthy feet. For more information on geriatric foot care or to schedule an appointment, please don’t hesitate to contact us today at (925) 516-1551!